19 February 2013

i'm embarking on a quest

resolution: a firm decision to do or not to do something

Less than two months ago the winter air was full of resolutions. "This year I will..." I'm admittedly a sucker for resolutions. Scattered around my life are lists of things I'd like to do better, lists of changes to be made, lists that start "I wish to be..." I write my lists with intent, but my resolutions are rarely a part of my life come July. I'd feel bad about that fact, but am comforted by knowing that more than half of resolution makers are in the same boat as me.

This year my life is more complicated than ever before. I'm a bona fide adult with bills to pay, mouths to feed, and less time than ever. Introducing my son into the world has made my pre-baby busy-ness look like Spring Break. A list of resolutions would have been shuffled under a mess of to-do's by January 10. So, I decided to redefine my determination. This year I'm on a quest.

quest: a long or arduous search for something

The word quest itself implies a sort of romance. Medieval knights set out on quests to save damsels, right? They fought dragons and thieves, wielded swords and carried shields. They rode smooth white stallions through harsh countryside. They toiled and labored for their end goal.

I like the definition of quest. It fits what I have in mind for my "resolution" this year. I will toil and labor for my end goal.

Are you ready for that unveiling of this resolution? I am.
With more fanfare than necessary... 
I intent to spend 2013 developing and refining the skill of mindfulness

I'm searching for clarity, composure, and peace. I am certain the journey will be long and will be arduous. I know this is something I'll have to work at. It will require continual, conscious effort. I will have to engage myself in constant pursuit of a type of awareness I am not accustomed to. But, I'm thinking it will be worth it.

To raise accountability, I am going to write about this embarkation right here. Stay tuned.

No comments: